Thursday, October 7, 2010

Problem Based Learning

Problem Based Learning, or PBL, is a great way to make the learning process authentic. It can teach our students to use technology and get deeply involved in the learning process. However, as Ertmer & Simons (2006)note PBL can be a difficult and time consuming process. The teacher has to relinquish a lot of control of the learning process to the students, it can be difficult to create a good topic, and there has to be scaffolding in place to help the students out.
As I learned about PBL I noticed that it is very similar to inquiry-based learning, which is a project I already use. Thus, I have already laid the groundwork for both myself and my students to implement a PBL in my classes. The problem for me now becomes trying to figure out where to fit this in the schedule, and what to replace it with. Ultimately I will have to decide whether this project is a more valuable learning experience for my students than an inquiry project, or another lengthy project. I will also have to decide if the project is viable.

Reference
Ertmer, P., & Simons, K. (Spring 2006). Jumping the PBL implementation hurdle: Supporting the efforts of K-12 teachers. The Interdisciplinary Journal of Problem-Based Learning, 1(1), 40-54. Retrieved from http://docs.lib.purdue.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1005&context=ijpbl.

2 comments:

  1. Tim -

    It seems like we are always trying to figure out how to implement something new and what to get rid of doesn't it! I agree with you the PBL is much like inquiry based learning and should be easy to implement in class. I have been racking my brain as well trying to figure out what to ditch, and nothing seems like it should go. I just don't know. I would like to use it with Of Mice and Men somehow but I haven't figured out how to make it fit yet. I have also been thinking about doing both a PBL and IBL on smaller scales, then letting each student pick which one they prefer for a third assignment, but again, not sure if there will be enough time.

    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeni,

    Of Mice and Men is great. Perhaps the PBL could touch on the issue of how we as a society deal with people like Lenny who cannot function on their own in society. For example, a large percentage our homeless population in this country is people with mental disorders.

    ReplyDelete