Friday, October 15, 2010

GAME Plan update: On-line Collaborative Learning

Vicki Davis (2010) discussed the benefits and challenges of on-line collaborative learning (Laureate Education). This video program helped to put into perspective how useful on-line learning can be, and what a powerful tool it can be for student collaboration. I use collaborative learning in the classroom on a regular basis, and being able to have students connect with each other outside of school, and generally without having to leave their homes, is a fantastic way to improve student learning. Technologies like blogs and wiki-spaces are great resources to connect our students.
The thing that struck me the most from Davis’ (2010) discussion was the ways technology can be used to reach out to and assist learners with different skill sets (Laureate Education). Previously I had most often considered the use of technology in terms of writing. Having students be able to use video or voice-capture technology in a discussion forum is an excellent way to reach out to students who struggle with writing. Students can also compile video clips about a topic, and I’m sure there are many more ways they can express knowledge without having to write. Having them be able to do this outside of school allows me to still focus on the necessary writing skills in class, while giving students who struggle an outlet to express their understanding and knowledge.

Reference
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Spotlight on technology: Social networking and online collaboration, parts I and II. In Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education, Inc.

4 comments:

  1. Tim-

    I too use a lot of collaborative learning strategies in my classroom and I really like the idea of extending that collaboration beyond the classroom walls. I know how intentional I am in scaffolding our in class collaboration. I am sure online collaboration should also be scaffolded, but I haven’t seen anything that breaks down what those steps might be. In some ways it surely depends on the specific tools, but in other ways, it seems like there are some basics that apply to any online collaboration. For example, cyber citizenship, appropriate commenting, etc. How do we teach these skills without jumping straight into true collaborations? Or do these things need to be taught FIRST?

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim -

    I am in the same boat as you, I thought i was going a great job of collaboration within the classroom, but was doing none outside the walls. I love the idea of extending it beyond those walls and working with kids across the country and globe. Again, I am like you in the fact that I have considered technology only in the terms of writing and what my kids could get out of it though writing. I have to admit though, that I am a loss as of where to go outside of writing, or youtube. I worry that I will be "dumbing down" the process by requiring less. I really look forward to following your struggles and successes so that I may use them myself.

    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Aaron,

    In the past, I've used examples of both good and bad cyber citizenship in order to scaffold students' understanding of what my expectations are. It is interesting to watch how quickly they can find the errors and faux pas in others' work, then to watch them review their own and see some of the same errors. Another way you might scaffold would be to have them work off-line, perhaps in a program like Word, post in a document, have others reply in another color, then use examples from these to again show positive and negatives.

    LaWanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tim,

    Technology will help us as teachers better meet the learning needs of students once thoses needs have been determined. I think allowing students to have multiple ways of expressing themselves, audio,video, or written is a valueable asset. Providing students avenues to overcome their limitations by giving them the ability to better express themselves is fantastic. Assistive technologies can provide us the flexibility needed to customize learning as needed. Good luck with your GAME plan.

    Robert

    ReplyDelete