Thursday, October 28, 2010

GAME Plan Reflection

Implementing technology in the classroom can be very challenging. The GAME plan process of designing projects and setting goals can thus very helpful to meeting this challenge. My initial GAME plan was to use blogs for peer-reviewing essays, but the technological challenges proved too difficult to implement that idea this year. With one marking period nearing completion we have just this week gained access to the computer lab. However, I do feel I will be able to implement this idea next year, as I do believe this will be an excellent way for students to give and receive cognitive feedback. As Cennamo et al (2009) discussed, cognitive feedback helps students to assess their abilities and improve.
I also gained new insights into using technology in the classroom from Vicki Davis’ (2010) discussion of the benefits and challenges of on-line collaborative learning (Laureate Education). I realized that on-line collaborative learning can be used for more than just written communication. Thinks like voice-capture and video can help students express their knowledge and learning in other ways. This will be really helpful for students who struggle with writing. I plan to set up a literature blog with discussion questions that the students can respond to either in writing, or using voice-capture or video technology.
This is very similar to Dr. Abrams (2010) ideas on digital storytelling (Laureate Education). I agree that these types of projects are more likely to capture the students’ interests and excite them. When I assign reading homework I always include some type of written assignment so I can assess whether or not and how carefully students did the reading. As an alternative to this, I can have the students to use digital storytelling to read aloud the work of literature. Hopefully this will get more students to complete the reading assignments.
Utilizing technology requires a lot of time and effort, and can be quite frustrating, but is an essential part of contemporary classrooms. Being exposed to new ideas in this course has made me realize what a powerful tool technology can be, and how we need to be more resourceful and creative in its use. My goal is to use one new type of technology per marking period (time and technology permitting) and to discover new and better ways to enhance content learning while also teaching my students important new literacy skills.
Reference
Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Spotlight on technology: Digital storytelling, parts I and II. In Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education, Inc.
Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2010). Spotlight on technology: Social networking and online collaboration, parts I and II. In Integrating technology across the content areas. Baltimore, MD: Laureate Education, Inc.

No comments:

Post a Comment