Friday, September 17, 2010

Meeting the National Education Technology Standards

Working in a school with limited technological capabilities (many of my students do not have home internet access, our computer lab is currently empty of computers (although they are in the school and waiting to be set up), and there is only one computer in my classroom) I feel I have a lot of obstacles in my way to utilize technology to improve student learning. However, I do feel it is essential to work towards utilizing technology in my class to improve student learning.
The first National Education Technology Standard I would like to tackle is to Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). The first indicator I would like to strengthen confidence in is to “promote student reflection using collaborative tools to reveal and clarify students’ conceptual understanding and thinking, planning,
and creative processes”( International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). I haven’t used technology for much more than research projects, and while I do feel that these projects are one of , if not the, most important ways to utilize technology, I would like to do more. I would like to have my students collaborate on writing projects via the internet using a blog. This could be a very valuable tool for the students to give and receive feedback, and thus improve their writing.
This also goes hand-in-hand with the second indicator I would like to improve my confidence in, to “model collaborative knowledge construction by engaging in learning with students, colleagues, and others in face to face and virtual environments” (International Society for Technology in Education, 2008). Modeling the process of peer-review and editing via a blog in our computer lab (when it gets set-up) and participating with the students in their blog responses would be a great way to meet this standard.
I do have some reservations about the technological challenges, but, as with any new idea we attempt while teaching, once we try it and work out the kinks, I’m sure it will be a great learning experience. I also think that experimenting with technology with your class is in itself a valuable learning experience for both the teacher and the students.
Reference

International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). The ISTE National Educational Technology Standards (NETS-T) and Performance Indicators for Teachers. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/Content/NavigationMenu/NETS/ForTeachers/2008Standards/NETS_T_Standards_Final.pdf

5 comments:

  1. Timothy,

    I understand your reservations about making a plan when you have severe limits on access to technology, but I don’t see your actions, monitoring or evaluation part of your GAME plan here. Is there something you could do with that one computer you do have in your class? Is your district tech staff willing to let students help with the computer set-up in the lab? I know that may seem taboo, but here is my thinking: most students, even those who may not have access to technology at home, do have far more exposure through culture and their peers with the functionality of technology than we think they do. Additionally, for your students who may have never had the opportunity to help a parent or sibling set up a new system, how great would the learning opportunity be to work as a class to set up the computers, configure the network settings, download necessary software, etc.? It could build student confidence, encourage student ownership in the technology, and get your lab up and running all at the same time.

    LaWanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim-

    Must be very frustrating having the computers in the building but not up and ready to go! Sometimes it feels that all the "red tape" really hinders teacher's abilities to teach 21st century skills! What about cell phones? Do the majority of your kids have phones with internet access or Ipods touches? If so, then maybe they could so some of the research on their phones and email papers to you. Or you could use your blog that way as well, kids could respond using their cell phones. If you have students that do not have internet access on their phones or Ipods rotate on your computer.

    What about reserving time at a library in your community? It wouldn't have to be during school, but maybe you could use the library time for kids without cell phones, Ipods, or computers at home and then have them report out on their experience using a pubic computer.

    Good luck, and let us know when your school gets around to setting up the lab!

    Jeni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in a similar situation to yours in terms of limited student access to technology. Many of my students do not have access to the internet at home, and the only internet access available at school at the moment consists of two computers located in the library. Like you, we also have a lab, but it is not currently up and running. There is no internet access in the classrooms, few digital projectors, and I don’t think anyone has even heard of a smart board. Needless to say, it is incredibly difficult to integrate digital tools into curriculum and instruction when those tools are not readily available for use. Still, I believe we can and should do all we can to be ready to go digital whenever the opportunity arises. Last year I managed to do a digital storytelling unit with a few borrowed lap tops and a lot of juggling, and my twelfth graders found a way to collaborate on a wiki. This year I have planned an online inquiry unit for later in the fall which will require use of the (still defunct) lab. I have determined to take whatever action I can to help the group responsible for getting the lab up and running to succeed in their task. So far this has meant attending their committee meetings, offering my help, and giving encouragement. With any luck, my unit will start on schedule! Keep your chin up and don’t be afraid to dig in and help make things happen at your school. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LaWanda, the students are allowed to help set up the computers, but the tech person must be present to supervise. I use the one computer I have in class the best I can, and schedule time for the students to use it before school, during lunch and after school.
    Jeni, the students with cell phones have computers with internet access at home; some of my students are quite poor and have very limited means. I suggest the town library and give them time to use the computer in my classroom, but so far they haven't been willing to work on their own time regardless of the consequences to their grade.
    Tsenala, I bring in my own laptops from time to time and do the best to make things work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tim,

    Setting up blogs for your students seems like a really good way for you to work on both of the goals that you identified. Another piece of technology that you might like to explore is that of pod-casting. You pointed out that you want to work on student reflection through technology, and this might be an interesting way to go about this. Students could record their reflections on a certain assignment as a pod-cast, this giving them some experience using this technology, and also hopefully motivating them to give a thoughtful reflection, as they get to do it in a more creative way. It would be okay that there is only one computer in the room, as students could quickly and quietly rotate recording their reflections while another lesson is going on, assuming that the reflections are not too lengthy and that students are provided with instructions at the computer station. Also, to promote collaboration, all of the pod-casts could be posted on one blog, so that any student could listen to their classmates' reflections and post comments.

    -Jenine

    ReplyDelete